Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Why I Want You to Read This Blog (& why I want to write it)

My "downtown" looks a lot different than Manhattan


The "blogosphere" is a weird place. You log onto your computer and learn intimate details of someone's life, most likely someone you have never met. And then, you likely go through a series of emotions. Smiles at pictures of happy babies and cute kittens, tears at a  touching video, & then that sneaky little green emotion of envy. "Why do they get to live that life and I don't?" "Why don't my cupcakes look like that when I frost them?" "Why can't I own that skirt?"

Yep. Admit it. You've been there.

And of course, then you want to blog because you think it'll magically make your cupcakes perfect and your home beautiful and the sun always shine at just the right angle in your pictures.

And that's likely why every blog I've ever written was destined for failure from the start. Which means you & I probably have a lot more in common than you think.

I live in small-town Pennsylvania. And I adore it. But the weather isn't California-perfect. It rains and snows and slushes and then rains some more. I'm not surrounded by incredibly tall skyscrapers that provide a picture-perfect backdrop to the events of my day.

Still picture-perfect


I can tell you that I did the NY fast-life, and it wasn't for me. I'd yearn to come back to Pennsylvania when I was there.

So here I am.

I can also tell you I don't have all the money in the world for pretty things. I'm paying off (or attempting to pay off) law school. If you're curious as to how much I'm paying off, google the tuition for a year of law school in NY. Multiply that by three. Add in living expenses. Yep. That much.

Needless to say, I like a good bargain.

So no, my cupcakes don't look like they popped up from the pages of a magazine. I can't show you the latest trends. And I won't make you envious of big city life.

But I am hoping you relate to this blog on another level. I hope you read about my happenings in a small-town and think "hey, I do the same thing." Or see my latest antique finds and get the bug to go thrifting. I hope you read about my struggles, the ups and downs, and relate to it on a level beyond pretty colors and perfect clothing.

And if you don't, I do have a darn cute cat to look at.

-Liz

2 comments:

  1. This is my first entry I read for no other reason then I completely forgot and for that I'm sorry. I loved every word of this and can't wait to read more :)

    ReplyDelete