Friday, March 8, 2013

Have Your Cake (& eat it too!)

This week's "cherry berry" cake

I'm not going to lie. There's just over seven months until our wedding & I haven't paid a bit of attention to what I eat. I'm not saying I want to be on some crazy bridal diet, but, for my own piece of mind, I think I'd like to at least try to eat a little healthier. The problem is, I love cake.

Layer cake. Chocolate cake. Cupcakes. Carrot cake.

I didn't always love cake. But I've learned that there's something so comforting about baking. And from that came a healthy unhealthy obsession with icing & batter. A love affair of sorts, if you really think about it.

To add to my obsession, there's this little thing called a wedding cake in my near future. I mean, it's only supposed to be the most amazing cake ever, right? And for a cake lover, that's a pretty high standard to be held to.

There are plenty of bakeries in my area that come up with beautiful, delicious creations. And you'd think that for a cake lover, I'd have mine chosen already. But I can't. I'm stuck. It's like a roadblock. So much pressure on one darn cake that I can't even bring myself to pick it out.

Ok, maybe I am being a little dramatic.

But there is a part of me that wants my wedding cake to live up to my wild cake imagination. I'm scared to take the plunge into the world of wedding cakes because it's something that I love so much. And I've heard the warnings - "I didn't even get to eat the cake at my wedding!" "No one saw us even cutting our cake!" - but it doesn't matter. Picking out a cake is personal to me. I love cake. People know I love cake. There are all of these cake expectations!

I know there's a solution to this. I know it involves trips to bakeries and books of pictures of nothing but sweet, dreamy cake. I know I'll bite into countless samples of cake and frosting until I find just the right one.

Hey, it's a tough job, but someone's got to do it.

Eat a slice for me this weekend,

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment